From:
Tammie Gregory <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 14 Sep 2002 18:57:04 EDT
Hello all,
I wanted to tell you how my assessment went with the mother who complained of
sore nipples, who has the day old baby. I have her permission to post. First,
if you will recall I was nervous because I have never done this kind of
assessing by myself before or for that matter in any way. I have been an avid
LacNet reader and I have learned a lot from my reading LacNet. I did call a
Lactation Consultant before I went to get some tips. I made a home visit to
this Mom. Her baby was so sleepy that he would not rouse to breastfeed. I
suggested taking off his sleeper and socks. I also suggested a diaper change.
I thought of asking her to bathe him to rouse him but I did not do that.
Nothing worked to get him awake. What do you ladies do with these sleepy
babies? From looking at the babies mouth I did not think he had an issue with
his frenulum. His mouth was very small though. There was no visible problem
with the nipples. After talking to her for a while I did find out she had
been on an antibiotic for B. Streptococcus (SP?). Her first child had thrush.
She has had vaginal yeast infections. She described her nipple pain as a
burning sensation. She said a "cool burning." She also described it as
shooting pains that was from the whole nipple area. The pain she was
describing was there even when she was not nursing the baby. The baby has a
slight diaper rash that had just started that day. There were red bumps on
the inside area of his leg. From all these factors I concluded that she see
her caregiver to check further for thrush. I went over proper latch with her
though and left her hand outs on proper positioning and latch, which I had
originally assumed might be the cause of the sore nipples. After I talked
with her though and found out what I shared here I left her articles on
thrush from Dr. Jay Gordon's website and also Dr. Jack Newman's latest
protocol for thrush which I printed from the LacNet archives. (I recently
posted on LactNet the question of "Can a mother have thrush in her
pregnancy?" I found out that a Mom can have thrush in her pregnancy so I
found the related articles and shared them with that client.) I asked her (
the present client) to show her caregivers these articles. I will follow up
with her in the next couple of days. Will the mainstream medical people use
the protocol prescribed by Dr. Jack Newsman? Do they know about the
grapefruit seed extract yet?
Please E-mail me off list as I am presently no-mail. Thank you for those that
responded and who have encouraged me in this work.
In the Service of Moms and Babies,
Tammie Gregory, WIC Breastfeeding Peer Counselor and hope to be soon
certified DONA, doula