From:
Margot Mann <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 19 Feb 1997 15:36:48 -0500
 Re article in Daily News 2/18/97 entitled, "Formula For Sucess" in the
"NOW Family" column:
It's great to see discussion of this nasty piece of work on Lactnet BUT
please don't stop there. Send letters tothe Daily News to complain. The
E-MAil address is [log in to unmask]
The writer was Lenore Skenazy and you will be put through to her if you
dial the Daily news # (212) 2102100.
        I cannot imagine what kind of community service could be intended
with such an angry article. It made breastfeeding sound dangerous,
excruciatingly painfulfor most mothers. The only benefitis listed are "the
valuable antibodies and nutrients for the baby". The logical conclusion is
that if you do breastfeed you have to be either mad or determined to outdo
the normal, pain-avoiding mother.
For those who didn't read it I will quote parts: This is how it starts:
"Ah, breast-feeding. What could be more natural? Well, how about hanging
upside down by your toenails, whistling Dixie?
        'Breastfeeding is not a natural thing,' says EG, LC at Beth Israel
Medical Center. It is a skill that both mother & baby must master. Trouble
is: Not everybody can.
While doctors recommend BF... aplethora of problems can greet even the most
eager of nursers. It is the pain , first of all, that shocks most new
mothers.
"Like raizor blades in your breasts," ..."hot needles" ..."I cried...I
cried! I cried!"... Most women do.
"I should win an award for breastfeeding because I went through such
hell"... Her nipples  developed sores. The sores got infected. "The worst
part was when the baby would latch on I would scream in pain. I know so
many people who didn't stick it out because it was hard.""
Those qouted are a school psychologist, a hospital administrator and a
mother of two. Intelligent, effective people telling of the torture.
   Above the article is a picture of a baby eagerly grtabbing a bottle. A
picture of happy excitement. On the side of this full page article is a
picture of a baby bottle with 7 instructions for the proper preparation of
Abm. They could be turned around in letters to the editor to point out that
the implied risks of Abm milk feeding don't apply to breastfeeding.
e.g.1. No need to check the expiration date on the breastmilk
2.Breastmilk is the perfect concentration, not too dilute or too concentrated
3.You can always use "leftovers" In fact, we could add, there is always
more where the last came from.
4. No risk of contamination as breastmilk comes in sterile containers.
5.No need to tip the nipple to fill it and prevent gas. Baby can control
the rate of milk flow directly from breast.
Wr  Write, react individually, en masse any way but don't let the Daily
News think that kind of article is acceptable!