From:
Jan Barger <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 26 Aug 2013 07:38:11 -0400
Jean writes:

<<I was just hoping for some personal reassurance for me as  to whether it
has been proven, in widespread practice, or formal research,  that the
addition of powdered formula to EBM is without known harm (beyond its  effect on
gut flora and effect of the iron on normal iron mechanisms of the  EBM, that
is).>>

Jean, I really wish there were some clear, specific answers for  this.
What we've heard on several occasions on this list and elsewhere is  that "we
do this frequently - all the time -- often -- in our NICU or for babies
going home" -- therefore, ergo, it must be the right and scientific thing to
do.  But the question is, where is the reality that this really IS the best
thing to do for our babies.  What does powdered formula actually DO to the
EBM?  Has anyone actually done a study to look at the components of
breastmilk and see what happens when the AIM is added?  If adding AIM to  water (as
directed) gives X, Y, Z amounts of minerals, calories, etc, then what
happens to that concentration of minerals when it is added to something that
already HAS minerals?  Is the mother's milk ever tested to look and see  what
the caloric value of her milk is, or is an assumption made that ALL  mothers'
milk is ALWAYS 20 kcal/ounce?

It is interesting  to me that it seems that if the "experiment" involves
AIM, the assumption is  that it is OK to do whether or not we have the
evidence to back it up that it is  not only "safe" but beneficial.

Musing on Jean's  thoughts and really wondering what the actual evidence
shows...

Jan Barger, RN, MA,  IBCLC, FILCA