From:
Cathy Bargar <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 5 Nov 1999 09:37:26 -0500
"One of our Peds staff docs told me in the hallway the other day he
wants only the docs to mention the option of frenotomy to parents.    I
feel this would be unethical and withholding information from
parents........"

Yes, Susan, you are right! It's your job to share information about
treatment options with your patients!

I think we do have the obligation to be sure when we present any info to
pts., we put it in ways that don't automatically set the situation up as "us
against them". (Well, at least in the initial stages of the
"discussion"....) Like you say "sometimes babies have a short frenulum, and
this may cause blah blah blah, and Option X is to blah blah blah". as
opposed to "tell your doctor that this baby needs to have xyz done before
noon tomorrow". But I'm sure we all know that already!

An LC or nurse should have a list of people in the area who will do
frenulotomies to whom pts. can be referred. (Dream on - as if there were
huge numbers of them in most places....!) That's what we do with other
resources, right?

Cathy Bargar RN IBCLC Ithaca NY