From:
Winnie Mading <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 31 Jul 2012 18:31:48 -0700
It bothers me to see so many LC's respond by commenting on all the reasons why
moms shouold be breastfeeding.  Of course, I agree with their points, however,
by responding this way we are only adding fuel to the fire.  The issue is NOT
whether breastfeeding is preferable over formula feeding.  It is HOW formula is
being distributed.  I wish our responses would concentrate more on debunking the
distorted views that ate being promoted.  As I understand it:

NO MOTHER is being prevented from obtaining formula.
NO BABY is being deprived.
NO WOMAN is being prevented from "making her own choice".
NO ONE is being made to feel guilty.
What IS happening is that formula will not be dropped off to moms willy nilly
without any thought to possible drawbacks.  Nurses will have to think twice
before suggesting formula to a nursing mom.  Hospitals will not be doing the
formula companies' advertising for them.

One advantage that should be pointed out to formula feeding moms is that there
WILL be a record of what batch of formula their baby got if there should be any
problems or recalls in the future.
IMO this is not the approprite forum for promoting the value of breastfeeding.
We should be clarifying just what Bloomberg's plan will and won't do.
Overzealous promotion of breastfeeding in this particular situation won't win
over many people but it will add fuel to the "don't mess with my right to
choose" attitude.

Winnie Mading, retired LC