From:
Diana Roberts <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 9 Jan 2005 22:25:09 -0500
Some musings from a lurker-

In regard to the mother who experiences cold and shivers with
breastfeeding--could this be a result of the hormonal changes?  Lower
estrogen levels affect our "thermostats": some women experience cold and
shivers with menopause, and not just hot flashes.  With her previous child
did the problem abate with the resumption of menses?

In regard to persistent yeast- one thing not included in the list of what
that the mother had tried was sunlight. I helped a mother who had a similiar
experience of persistent yeast-and she too tried everything.  Then she
remembered my suggestion about sunlight-a remedy for sore nipples that has
been around for a long time.  No toppless beaches here, so she opted to go
to the tanning salon. After one session, felt better, and after three
sessions, said the yeast was gone!  (Which makes me wonder, in areas where
there are topless beaches, is there less nipple yeast?)
Also, remember to look for other co-existing causes, rarely is it so simple
as to be just one thing causing the soreness!

In regard to the gassy baby-maybe the baby has yeast-has he had any other
signs? Diaper rash? Or maybe the baby had a viral infection that affected
his gastrointestinal system, and he has never gotten back into balance. I
have known moms to have good results when they gave their gassy babies
acidophililus with bifida (there are versions specifically made for infants
to be found at health food stores).  This also did the trick for a baby who
was having really watery stools leaving his poor bum excoriated, but having
no other problems.  The mom was thrilled with the suggestion after all else
had failed to help.

Regards,
Diana
Diana Roberts, RN, IBCLC, RLC