From:
Naznin Hebert <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 30 Jun 2007 16:51:44 -0400

  _____

From: Naznin Hebert [mailto:[log in to unmask]]
Sent: Saturday, June 30, 2007 9:40 AM
To: 'COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM LISTSERV Server (15.0)'
Subject: Tongue tie!

Hello,

I attended Catherine Watson Genna's conference in Ottawa in April and
thoroughly enjoyed it and learnt a lot. Since then I have been seeing a lot
of short frenulums of various stages. Thank you to Catherine. My
observations are much more thorough now.

However, some babies and moms have a definite problem with the tongue tie
and it is obvious that a frenotomy should be done. But some do not have any
problems with it, at the time I see them, which is in the first few weeks
post partum.

My question is, is it always necessary to do a frenotomy even though there
is not a problem either to the mom or the baby at this early stage. I
understand if it is not broken do not fix it. But on the other hand it may
cause future problems.  I see moms and babies earlier on but do not
necessarily see them later and I can not guarantee that they will consult if
they will have problems later on. If the milk production decreases over the
months they may just stop breastfeeding instead of consulting. Am I taking a
risk by not having it done profilactically?

Thank you in advance,

Naznin. Hebert, RN, IBCLC, RLC.

From beautiful Montreal.

.