From:
Kris Rogers <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 31 Oct 1996 11:05:34 -0600
Hi Lactnetters,
Well, Ros challenged us to see who was longest.  I can express a drop of
dark, almost black fluid from several ducts on both breasts and my last
baby weaned 13 years ago.  I was concerned about it when I first tried
it a couple years ago, but then I read in Susan Love's Breast Book about
a study that applied little suction cups to women aged teens to their
80's and something like 8o% could express something, whether they had
even been pregnant or not. I also figured that it wasn't a spontaneous
discharge, and that I "knew" how to hand express, when many women who
are actually lactating have trouble learning it initially. It didn't
appear with simple "squeezing", only with real "expressing". So I did
not consider it abnormal either.  Of course, maybe my frequent handling
of my own breasts in demonstrating positioning, etc. has something to do
with it too. Who knows?
Kris Rogers, RN, BSN, IBCLC
Crystal Lake, IL