Date:
Tue, 17 May 2005 13:41:16 +0100
Just to add to this: I have heard two recent stories from mothers who
told me their midwife advised them to supplement their newborns with
Actimel....I found this hard to believe, but they were convinced.
Turns out it was Aptamil.

Actimel is a yogurt drink, heavily promoted in the UK for supposed
health-giving probiotics.
Aptamil is an infant formula.

Of course, why they were being advised to supplement *at all* is
another story.....but it's a good illustration of how mothers can
mishear and misunderstand.

Training last week, I shared this story with some HCPs, and added
that I was certain the mother who told me her health visitor had
advised supplementing her breastfed 5 month old with Angel Delight
had misheard as well.

'Oh, probably not,' came the reply. 'This is what some of our child
growth people have advised us to tell mothers.'

:(

[in case non-Brits don't know Angel Delight, it's a dessert you mix
with milk to make a gloopy concoction of chemicals, thickeners and
preservatives. In fact, we used to have it as a special treat when we
were kids, but I know better now!]

Heather Welford Neil
NCT bfc, UK