From:
Maurenne griese <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 30 Jul 1998 17:43:31 -0500
I've worked in the US military health care system in some way on and off
for 10 years now.  I know of no US military hospitals that have
accomplished BFHI recognition.  Only 13 or 14 hospitals in the entire US
have achieved this status.  I'm delighted to hear that you are working
toward that status at your hospital.  A 70% breastfeeding rate is a
wonderful place to start!

Marsha Walker may be able to elaborate on the cost of formula for 30 births
per month.  I'm sure your supervisors are wanting to know what it costs
since you are looking at paying for the formula instead of getting it free
from the formula companies.  As part of that issue, however, what also
needs to be figured in is the costs (out of the US taxpayers pocketbooks
mind you!) for these children who are formula fed and the illnesses they
are more susceptible, i.e. Otis media, gastroenteritis, etc.  Your military
hospital won't be paying just for the cost of formula in the hospital for
these children.

Best of luck in your endeavors.

Maurenne Griese, RNC, BSN, CCE, CBE
Birth and Breastfeeding Resources  http://www.childbirth.org/bbfr