From:
Grace Doolittle <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 7 Oct 2000 10:52:51 -0500
Hello everyone, I work in an NICU helping mothers of our patients.  This week
I've been working extensively with a mother of a 33 weeker, now 6 days old.
This mother began pumping (double pump, hospital grade) about 12 hours after
delivery and for the first 48 hours got not a drop of milk (despite every every
two hours pumping).  Her breasts looked fuller to me on the second day however.
She has no medical problems, takes no meds, no hx of surgery or trauma, and this
is her first baby.  The next day, she experienced engorgement which quickly
became severe and we treated with ice, massage, cabbage and she began to get 1-5
cc out.  Two days later, she can only get milk out with pressing on milk ducts
while she pumps and has gotten 15 cc at most, she says the pain is getting to
her (despite using ibuprofen).  She then told me her sister had had similar
problems and ended up bottlefeeding.  The mother experienced increased breast
size with pregnancy, but no feelings of tenderness.  The baby has gone to
breast, but has been too sleepy to do much yet.
Can anyone give me some insight on this?

TIA,
Grace Doolittle, RNC
Minneapolis, MN