From:
Ann Perry <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 3 Apr 1996 13:07:03 -0500
To Ruth Wilson,
> re. HELLP. " more reasons THEY will discourage breastfeeding." <
Who is THEY?
I have worked L&D for 15 years and the key factors in HELLP syndrome is to
treat early  elevating severe complications.  The earlier the disease starts
in a pregnancy usually indicates a severe case.  I have worked with mom's who
had HELLP and were able to breastfeed.  In fact I don't know what a
contraindication would be to prevent nursing.  The staff will need to
anticipate that there will possibly be separation of mom and baby.  Cup
feeding as a way of supplementing would be preferable and helping the mom
pump to add stimulation to her breast.  There is potential for the mature
milk to be delayed coming in.
I can't say I've seen a rise in these cases more likely that the medical
prof. is making better diagnosis .  Please encourage L&D staff and postpartum
staff to help these moms breastfeed.