From:
Ann Perry <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 11 Aug 2004 09:09:05 EDT
What Suzanne pointed out a reason pedis like Dr. Trendy would refuse LC
visits in the hospital is due to increase scrutiny of insurance companies.
I would agree with this theory in the office setting but not in the hospital.
 LCs, social workers, nutritionist, et fall under a large blanket of the
maternity unit.  In our hospital there is not a separate charge for a LC or social
work consult.
What I think is more likely in the hospital setting is "OWNERSHIP" issues.
Some clinicians are afraid that they may loss clients if they are getting help
outside of their care.  The reality is the patient has the final say.  If they
request a consult, the clinician cannot refuse them access.
We have our services posted many places; childbirth ed, bulletin boards,
waiting rooms, and an information folder that all breastfeeding mothers receive.
At hospitals that are dealing with Dr. Trendy who try to state that an LC can
never see their patients, I would take this up with hospital administration
and review the patient's bill of rights to them.
Ann Perry, RN, IBCLC
Boston, MA