Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 8 Feb 2008 08:09:35 -0500
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (38 lines)
Dear all:

First, I do agree with Jennifer Tow that posterior tongue ties can often create what 
appears to be "oversupply" and I think is woefully underdiagnosed.  Furthermore, I do not 
agree that the PUMP causes this problem. I would say that the asynchrony that develops 
between mother and baby begins with the birthing experience and post partum stay in the 
hospital, followed by advice from baby nurses and relatives who are not convinced about 
breastfeeding.  Even here in Manhattan where everywoman gets her "mechanical wet-
nurse", I actually realized that it is only those that follow the advice of squeeze the heck 
out of your breast for 20 minutes and pump afterward that fall into the category of a 
created oversupply.  In reality I don't see too many of those because it is probably too 
much work for most women.  What I see more of is three to four days of minimal 
infrequent drainage with everyone encouraging mom to rest, followed by intense anxiety 
and grouchiness from lack of sleep and bowling ball breasts often coming along with 
weight loss if mom hasn't supplemented much and then thought the baby could all of a 
sudden go from bottles all night to no bottles at all --- or by a baby that has been taught 
to disregard his or her feeding cues and guzzles down a ridiculous amount and continues 
to expect that.  Then to fix it all the pump comes into the picture again because the baby 
really can't do it anymore.  Then it is the tedious process of getting them into sync in a 
way that gets them on the breast and off the pump as quickly as possible without 
compromising the baby. During this process I do think some mothers and babies thus flip 
flop from one extreme to another in this scenario of a culture that pushes hard to tell 
mothers to make sure the baby is "independent".  It is also a set up for later eating 
disorders.

Best, Suasn

Archives: http://community.lsoft.com/archives/LACTNET.html
To reach list owners: [log in to unmask]
Mail all list management commands to: [log in to unmask]
COMMANDS:
1. To temporarily stop your subscription write in the body of an email: set lactnet nomail
2. To start it again: set lactnet mail
3. To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
4. To get a comprehensive list of rules and directions: get lactnet welcome

ATOM RSS1 RSS2