From:
Darillyn Starr <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 20 Oct 2003 21:34:45 -0600
I can't claim to be an expert, and cannot quote any literature, but I have
been using various formulations of "friendly bacteria" since meeting my
mother-in-law, who was a disciple of Adelle Davis, 30 years ago.  I am
convinced that it is good stuff and especially good for treating and
avoiding thrush and all of its other names, as well as bowel problems of
various kinds.  As far as whether a breastfed baby needs it, I think it is
pretty much in the "Probably not, but it can't hurt" category.  If the baby
has had antibiotics, though, I think it is very likely to have a beneficial
effect.

I can't find it, but I have seen a report of research where "friendly
bacteria" was added to formula, daily, for a group of infants, and then the
rates of intestinal problems were monitored and compared with a group of
breastfed infants, and a group recieving formula without the bacteria added.
  The conclusion was that the addition of the bacteria brought the rates of
intestinal problems in the formula fed babies down closer to the breastfed
babies.

Since I have always needed to supplement my induced milk supply, I just went
ahead and added friendly bacteria to every batch of whatever formula I was
using in the Lact-Aid.  My favorite was "Primadophlus for Children", which
can be purchased on the internet.  It is a tasteless powder, formulated for
babies and young children.  I especially liked it because it would dissolve
completely and not plug the Lact-Aid.  Although I am very prone to thrush,
my babies never had any symptoms at all, and I think that helped.  Also, my
babies smelled good, and didn't have any bowel problems.

I have also seen moms of babies with both thrush symptoms and various sores
in their mouths, which have responded well with powdered acidophilus rubbed
around inside their mouths.

Don't know if that is any help, but that is my 2 cents!

Darillyn