From:
June Rychlik <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 12 Aug 2001 22:44:54 EDT
In a message dated 8/12/01 9:23:52 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
[log in to unmask] writes:

<< For the dietitians and nutritionally aware lactnetters:
 I have permission to post about this case.  Mother of a 12 month old nursing
 infant with allergy to cow's milk protein and eggs wonders about her child
 having a high enough fat intake.  Baby nurses 4-8 times per day and drinks
 soy milk from a cup at mealtime.  As mother's prior children were drinking
 whole milk and eating cheese at this age, she is concerned as to rather baby
 is getting sufficient fat intake for nervous system development, etc.  Baby
 eats a variety of vegetables, grains and meats.  Baby is generally
 thriving--a friend's advice has caused the concern.
 TIA for any input. >>

Although it is true that toddlers have a higher need for fat in their diet, I
woudln't be particularly concerned in this case, as mom seem to still be
doing a fair amount of nursing, and breastmilk is a very good source of fat.
The soy milk itsself has a little fat in it.  If soy milk were the primary
*milk* in the toddlers diet, I would counsel to make sure that there were
other sources of fat in the child's diet.  In this case, I would tend not to
worry.  I would however counsel the mother to continue to breastfeed until
the age of two, when the child's fat need is not quite as great.

June Rychlik, BS, M.Ed
WIC Nutritionist, Lawrence Massachusetts WIC Program.