From:
"Westra, Mary" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 20 Nov 2009 15:54:40 -0500
Yes this is a dead horse we are beating.  It is tiresome doing this
battle.  At our institution, we have gotten one tiny step ahead.  We do
pay a small amount for our pacifiers so it is a small cost savings to
the hospital, but in this day and age people are paying attention even
to tiny savings.  Here is what I am dealing with here:  the audiology
techs use them to keep a baby still during testing. They can not do the
hearing tests in the rooms, or on mom's breast, becase our rooms are
semi private and have no space.  Also, the techs claim that there is
less artifact in the nursery.   I brought this  to the attention of our
nursing management and suggested that the techs use a gloved finger when
they are doing the test if needed to quiet infant.  Now the management
wants to see a study that shows no harm being done to breastfeeding by
use of finger sucking.  I doubt this has ever been done, but if anyone
knows of any such study or any danger of sucking on a clean glove as
oppose to a pacifier, please let me know.  And, oh, by the way we will
have to have the techs have a competency test on this. Ridiculous, nuts
and crazy.
Frustrated on a Friday afternoon, but thankful I have so many out there
that I can sound off to,
Mary Westra RN, IBCLC