From:
Mary Biever <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 17 Jul 1996 15:03:55 -0400
Info on genetics request.  Spinal bifoda is a neural tube defect (NTD).
 Three years ago, my first baby had a fatal NTD, anencephaly.  My genetic
counselor said our chances were 5% of another NTD.  Those odds are halved
with high doses of folic acid.  NTD's occur soon after conception, before a
woman knows she is pregnant.  She should increase folic acid before getting
pregnant.  I took 4 mg daily plus from natural sources - orange juice & green
leafy veggies.  Soon our flour & breads will also be enriched with folic
acid. BTW - I now have a healthy 2 year old daughter and a 2 month old son.
 AFP blood tests can indicate whether a fetus has a neural tube defect - and
the blood test is noninvasive.
Note:  my son was delivered csection  4 weeks early because of total previa,
hemorrhaging & neonatal alloimmune thrombocytopenia (my blood destroyed his
platelets, unrelated to NTD's).  He is fine now.  Even w/epidural, he latched
on within 3 seconds of being put to the breast!