Date:
Fri, 25 Jan 2008 22:13:02 -0500

Daniela wrote:
"I have a related question. Working with a baby with blood in stools. Stools slimy/mucuousy since meconium was passed (DOL 3).
Blood usually occult, but periodically bright red specks/spots. Mom completely off dairy and soy for over 4 months, also down
to ~10 foods for 10days. Nothing made a difference. No hiden sources of either soy or milk in diet. Mom very careful. Have been
trying to pinpoint souce of increased blood with carefull food diaries, but the culprit still eludes me.
Here's my question. How long after eating a food (allergen/intolerance) should I expect to see
blood? So far nothing comes out clearly. How far back should I be looking? Any personal experience
or research much appreciated."

First, you do not say what foods the mother is eating, so I wonder if she has done a gluten elimination. Secondly, does baby have feeding
patterns or structural problems that might be contributing to the problem? Third, I do not see any point in eliminating foods while not
simultaneously taking steps to heal the gut. When I was diagnosed with celiac disease, my ferritin level was a 5. I did not simply eliminate
gluten and all was well. Fortunately, I was diagnosed by a naturopath and I took herbs, probiotics and supplements to both heal and replace
nutrients. I work extensively with families with babies with allergies and the approach I take is far more complex than an elimination diet.
Often, I refer moms to other holistic providers as well.

I also want to say, as regards Heather's observation that we see far more babies with blood in the stools in the US than in the UK--I agree
with you. I think that the incredible intake of com milk in the US is a key cause of the problem. In particular, pregnant women wrongly believe
they need to drink milk for calcium and tend to increase their intake of cow milk and cow milk products. I also think that the propensity to give
almost every baby here AIM means gut damage early on for babies and once AIM has been used, there is often a more relaxed attitude toward
using it again. You are also right that the use of reflux meds here is absolutely out of control and no doubt doing a lot of damage. We surely do
not show any respect the integrity of the infant's gut in this country.

Jennifer Tow, IBCLC, CT, USA
Intuitive Parenting Network LLC