From:
Meg Kingsley <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 23 May 2006 21:53:17 +1000
While this study did not look specifically at feeding choice in regards to
later child abuse, I thought it might be of interest...

I recently heard Sandra Lang speak on breastfeeding pre-terms and while the
reference wasn't given, my notes of that day say she quoted a study
conducted over 20 years in the UK, following 120,000 kids. There was found
an increased risk of neglect and abuse of children who had been born
pre-term. The incidence was TWICE that of the term population.

Sandra attributed this to possible difficulties with bonding and separation
of mum/baby, feeding management issues, the feeling of distance and loss of
ownership a new mum feels of a pre-term baby needing hospital care, and a
reported impression mothers had that the baby was a "problem" or ill or
needed lots of extra attention, or was extra needy...it was actually
negative attention instead of positive attention (this child needs MORE
care, more love...). The baby then grows up as the "problem" child of the
family.

I hope I am quoting Sandra correctly-this is from my (extensive) notes and I
take full responsibility for any errors or misinterpretation.

Regards,
Meg Kingsley IBCLC
Australia