From:
Ann Perry <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 18 Feb 2004 09:27:18 EST
I have tried to do a literature search on how bottle feeding is taught and
the results are discouraging.
I have come to agree with Dee Kassing's article on bottle feeding and tell
parents not to think that bottle feeding is like breastfeeding to the baby.  It
is not the tongue action so much that concerns me as how fast the milk flows
and babies cannot do their typical nonnutritive sucking on a bottle without
still forced to drink milk.
It is sad to watch nurses and parents bottle feed babies when they do not
watch the baby or try to encourage a larger intake.
I still like the analogy of breastfeeding is like drinking from a straw and
bottle feeding is like drinking with a funnel to a newborn. Who the origin of
this analogy is, I am not sure.
It is interesting on the person who needs literature on the safety of cup and
finger feeding but none of the literature states that bottle feeding is any
safer and there is research that shows the risk of bottle feeding.  It is just
more accepted.
Ann Perry RN, IBCLC
Boston, MA