From:
"Stearns, Crystal" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 13 Sep 2002 09:23:34 -0500
Hi,
I work with lots of mom on antidepressants during pregnancy: Paxil, Zoloft,
Prozac,Wellbutrin,Luvox.  Yes to get this mom on something quickly and watch
her closely after delivery as she will be very prone to Postpartum
Depression.  Medication alone may not be enough for this mom.  If she has
struggled with issues for a very long time I would suggest counseling along
with an antidepressant.  There are several book on the subject and maybe her
mother would like to read them.  I find that when these women first start
getting help they can't focus well enough to read books on the subject, but
as their treatment advances then reading helps them understand their
problem. Also ask about a family history of Bi-Polar, depression and
Postpartum depression.
If you know anyone who attended the 2001 ILCA conference in Mexico you can
look in their syllabus for my talk on Postpartum Adjustment Disorders and
Their Effects on Breastfeeding. I think that information would be of great
help to you with this client.
E-mail if I can be of any help.
Good luck

Crystal Stearns RNC, MS, IBCLC