From:
Chris Hafner-Eaton <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 15 May 1997 23:07:17 -0800
Marie:  I was so glad to see your post about chest injuries.  Last week I
personally experienced this after getting hit with a line-drive softball to
the right breast (yes, I  felt stupid).  It didn't quite click with me, but
two days later I had a terrible plugged duct and impending mastitis (at
least it looked that way from the redness and edema--but no fever).  I
finally clued in as to what happened when a team-mate asked how my ribs
were after that blow.  No permanent harm was done...I assigned myself to
rest, bf frequently, echinacea/vitamin C, and apply cabbage leaves.  It
resolved, but had I gone marching into the local doctor, I would have
walked out with antibiotics (that's what her triage nurse said and told me
I must come in right away or risk hospitalization).  All is well, except
this week a ball bounced in the dirt and hit my jaw.  And yes, we do look
like the Keystone cops.

: )Chris Hafner-Eaton, PhD, MPH, CHES, IBCLC  email: [log in to unmask]   : )
: )HSR & Health Educational Consultant        voice/fax: 541 753 7340    : )
: )LLLLLLLLLLLLL**CHANGE THE WORLD, NURTURE A CHILD!**LLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL : )