From:
Ros Escott <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 18 Sep 1996 08:08:29 +0000
Further to my post a few days ago on the ingredients of nipple
creams, a colleague from the UK has alerted me to recent warnings not
to use a popular product marketed the the UK for sore nipples,
Kamillosan, because it contains peanut oil. Dr Frankland, described
as one of Britain's foremost allergists, has found that children who
developed peanut allergy had often been breastfed by women who used
this product.

Dr Frankland said that more than a third of children were
susceptible to developing peanut allergies if exposed to peanut oils
while breastfeeding. "The risk is particularly great for children
under two. _ Babies were often sensitised by early exposure to
peanut oil. Later that could lead to a severe reaction upon their
first taste or peanuts or peanut butter and attacks could prove
fatal. There were seven deaths between 1991-1995". (Ref: Breast oil
linked to allergies in babies, The Daily Telegraph, London July 21
1996)

While the formulation of Masse Cream varies from country to country,
last time I checked in the USA it listed peanut oil as the main
emollient. Can anyone confirm if this is still the case? This is a
MAJOR concern.

The makers of K--n have announced that they are now changing their
formulation from peanut oil to maize oil (no allergic potential????)
The medical director from the company said mothers were advised on
the packaging to use it only *after* feeding their babies!!!  Now
who's trying to shift the blame and make mothers feel guilty? Is he
suggesting that the only way babies could have been exposed is if
mothers have been applying it *before* breastfeeding, contrary to the
instructions. Doesn't he know oils are not absorbed into the skin?

Ros Escott