Date:
Mon, 5 Apr 1999 18:01:44 -0700
Dianne,

Parallels my personal experience. Thought I was a great mom, with the
first two kids rather placid. Third child like to drove me out of my
skull sometimes as a baby and toddler - seemed born angry. (Doctor told
me it was because I was up-tight about his care. Popular theme back in
the 1950's. Why had I "done so well" with # 1 & #2?) Turned out to be a
gifted child- perfect pitch - musical talent - crosscountry runner -
great grades (when he wanted to), 2nd in his class in law school.

For years I tried to figure out what I had done differently. I finally
figured it was genetic makeup - more ectodermal tissue than endodermal or
something. More sensory end organs in ears, eyes, skin etc. Baby #4 was
placid by comparison. I knew right what to do when baby #5 started out so
sensitive. Fed her in a quiet, darkened room, etc. to cut down stimuli.
Another gifted child, it turns out.

Whenever I have a client who describes her baby thus, I tell her it may
be that she has a particularly bright child who's picking up a lot more
stimulation from his environment than other babies. I have never followed
up to see if this is so, but the theory sure helped me through my
motherhood!

I love em' all, but they were born with a different genetic makeups and
personalities, and this has carried through all the way through adulthood
so far.

K. Jean Cotterman RNC, IBCLC
Dayton, Ohio