From:
Dawn Kersula <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 30 Jul 2013 14:36:44 -0400
Mary Kay and Colleagues,

I remember "way back when" we would tell moms, "Go home as soon after birth
as you can. The breastfeeding will go better when you get home."

Nowadays I work in the hospital and in theory we are going to be so helpful
- but sometimes it just doesn't go that way.

So maybe the best thing would be to tell them to go home, get some of the
rest they should've gotten in the first days (but didn't) with baby very
close, and anytime the baby looks the least bit interested, offer the
breast. And tell them - it will go better at home....

And if she can get a home visitor who knows something about breastfeeding,
make sure they get there sooner rather than later.

Sigh.

Dawn Kersula RN, IBCLC in Vermont...where sometimes our practices are not
as fine as our intentions!!