Date:
Mon, 1 Jan 2001 11:13:06 -0700
Ok, I hope I am not out of line here, but I had no less than 10 requests for this information so I just thought I would post it to the whole list.  Here are two sites that list Biblical references to both nursing and weaning.  One thing that I encourage moms to remember when reading some of these passages IS that the weaning age was more in line with 7+ years.  The fathers didn't take their sons to the fields with them until they were weaned, and I can't see a father taking a 4 year old, can you?  Even today most husbands won't take their 4 year old in the backyard, let alone to herd sheep in the high country.  I also have to say in all the other Bible reading I have done, there isn't a whole lot of sexualizing of the breasts, it would seem that the breasts were intended for the very purpose we try to counsel moms about!  Imagine that!  One thing that I have personally been careful to do is educate our priest, he of all people should know the Bible backward and forward, but he is even amazed when I give him references that he hasn't thought of before.  I counsel women that surrounding themselves spiritually with good supporters of breastfeeding is in their best interest for the long run.   When I have a new mom express concern about nursing in church, I remind her that God has already seen her breasts!  And that He would much rather her nurse and comfort a hungry baby than have everyone else's attentions be taken away from the message being taught in church.  Nursing is much less of a distraction than a screaming baby!   As a counselor of the general breastfeeding public, I learned long ago that making women feel comfortable in their house of worship would make them comfortable anywhere.

http://members.aol.com/davdme/bfbible.htm

http://www.geocities.com/Heartland/8148/verses.html

Happy New Year!!

Melisa (who is STILL trying to have this baby!)