Reply To:
Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 18 Jan 2009 00:00:59 -0500
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (31 lines)
This is entirely anecdotal and I have not got any evidence to show that this will be the case 
for every mother, but I thought I'd share.  I had a terrible case of thrush that hung on for a 
very long time, at the beginning it was easily harbored in cracked in bleeding nipples.  
Knowing I was returning to work full-time at 10 weeks PP, I could not bring myself to dump 
the milk.  

I froze it and used it several weeks later.  The milk was not heated to a hot enough 
temperature to kill an infection of any sort.  It was gently warmed in the usual way that you 
would advise a mother to warm breastmilk in a cup of warm (not hot) water, having been 
thawed overnight in the refrigerator the night before.  I pumped and held my body and the 
horns in such a way that the milk sprayed directly down into the horn, rather than by 
touching my breast first and dripping or flowing into the horn.  All of that milk was fed to 
my babies and there was no subsequent recurrence of thrush on my breasts, in their 
mouths, or as a diaper rash.  

According to Dr. Hale in his session at the 2007 LLLI Conference, yeast infection does not 
exist internally in ducts, it exists externally also.  If this is true, then presumably, a mother 
could be very careful with the method of collecting milk and avoid contamination with 
external surfaces.  

Archives: http://community.lsoft.com/archives/LACTNET.html
To reach list owners: [log in to unmask]
Mail all list management commands to: [log in to unmask]
COMMANDS:
1. To temporarily stop your subscription write in the body of an email: set lactnet nomail
2. To start it again: set lactnet mail
3. To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
4. To get a comprehensive list of rules and directions: get lactnet welcome

ATOM RSS1 RSS2