From:
Sarah Barnett <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 12 Sep 1997 16:38:50 -0400
As I understand it the "Australian" hold is a position that I have always
called "upside down and backwards".  It works extremely well for sore
nipples.  I used to think that this was because of the change of areas of
most pressure.  Now that I am "smarter" (two years of Lactnet and such) I
think that it also helps the tongue position and tongue action.

Mom is flat on her back, with a fairly thin pillow on the bed behind her
shoulder.  Baby is face down, with knees at the shoulder.  The pillow
serves to keep the baby level if s/he starts to slip down.  Babies
generally do fine, it is the parents who worry that they won't be able to
swallow face down.

Hope this helps.

Sarah

Sarah Friend Barnett   LLLL, IBCLC
Bronx (New York City), NY  -  [log in to unmask]
" You are not obliged to finish the task,
 neither are you free to neglect it."       R. Tarfon