From:
laurie wheeler <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 18 Sep 2003 04:24:12 +0000
Jan, I see your point, however, just to play devil's advocate, you could
interpret this to mean: the LC must obtain consent *in case a clinical
concern or pertinent info is manifested and needs reporting to the primary
provider.* Sometimes we do a consult that is just a simple latch fine tuning
and no big problems are manifested, and do we really have to send a report
in that case? I'm not sure.
In practice, I send reports when there are problems identified and I'm
recommending supplementation, wt checks, tongue tie clipping, etc. but I
generally do not send reports when it is a *simple* quick fix.
Really, I love to write reports and have to make myself keep them short and
to the point, but I don't have time to write on every single person I see.
Sad but true.

<<23.  Require and obtain consent to share clinical concerns and information
with the physician or other primary health care provider before initiating a
consultation.

It seems to me that is pretty straightforward that the IBCLC is obligated to
share information with the primary health care provider -- either the OB or
the peds or the midwife....>>

Laurie Wheeler, IBCLC, MN, RN
New Orleans Louisiana, s.e. USA