From:
Ellen Mahony <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 28 Jul 2001 23:34:44 -0400
Hi lactnetters,
        Good luck to all you exam takers, I recertified last year and
understand those July 30th nerves. In spite of a devastating loss a week
before the exam last year,(my daughter miscarried her first pregnancy at 11
weeks), I managed to pass the exam. Do try to pamper yourself the day
before, get to the exam site early, and eat well. All the best, I will be
thinking of you on Mon., July 31.

        I have been fortunate to be in the process of having my hospital
create a parttime real position as a hospital based LC. I am presently the
lactation coordinater, but it is in addition to many other RN duties as a
maternity nurse. I have searched the archives for job descriptions and
contacted some LC's in my area about their job duties, and want to
formulate the best job description I can. Presently, we do about 700 births
a year, but within 5-7 years are combining with the hospital nearby that
does about 1500 births, and has a parttime LC for about a year.

        I would appreciate hearing from both RN and non-RN LC's about your
positions, and if you have any suggestions. Do you run pump rental stations
as well?  Do you provide outpatient service and how do you charge for the
service?  You may e-mail me privately or post to the list. I know some of
this has been discussed before, but the archives did not provide much
current info, such as current rates of service in the country. I am in the
northeastern US. TIA!  Also, if any of you are in private practice, I would
be interested in hearing from you, too.
                                     Warm regards,
                                     Ellen Bane Mahony, RN, MS, LCCE, IBCLC
                                     Greenwood Lake, NY
         Enjoying the beautiful weather, but not enough time to do so!