From:
Jennifer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 21 Nov 2004 11:40:23 -0500
I just wanted to share my experiences with a preemie - I had a 28 weeker and
was lucky enough to have an abundant supply.  My daughter had weaned herself
when I got pregnant and my milk supply came back in with force - I could
pump 2+ oz of colostrum.  I filled up the freezer in the NICU and then
filled my freezer at home and thought - this is no problem, I don't need to
pump this often.  Unfortuntely, as we all know, the stresses of exclusively
pumping and having a sick baby take their toll over time.  By the time I
brought him home from the hospital, he was eating more than I was making and
I was forced to supplement with frozen EBM.  I was lucky and my supply
rebounded within a few days and he never needed a bottle from that point,
but I was the exception.  I can't tell you how many moms I met in the
breastfeeding room at the NICU who had started out with abundant milk and
ended up weaning their babies to ABM becasue they were getting less than 1
oz per breast per DAY :(.  These women were devestated to have "failed" and
wished they'd known how important it was to keep increasing their supply.

In my opinion, I'd encourage her to find new flanges and make sure she's got
the pump at the right setting( I made the mistake of setting it too high to
speed up the process so I could go back to my son - this eventually causes
soreness and more).  The other thing to keep in mind is that EBM is often
wasted in the NICU - nurses thaw the whole bottle and then throw out what
isn't eaten in one sitting, bottles are left out and forgotten, spilled,
etc.  While we know it's liquid gold, it is not always handled this way.  So
it is important to have a lot of extra.

Good luck to this mom,

Jennifer Cassini, LLLL and mother to Matthew, 27 weeks 6 days who is now a
perfect 3 year old