Date:
Thu, 19 Feb 2004 23:08:03 -0500
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (38 lines)
Ann Perry <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
>Subject: bottle feeding and breastfeeding

>I still like the analogy of breastfeeding is like drinking from a straw and bottle feeding is like drinking with a funnel to a newborn. Who the origin of this analogy is, I am not sure.

That would be me :)
I can't put my hands on it right now, but (circa 1993/4?) JHL published my letter to the editor about a  way of explaining the difference between breastfeeding and bottle feeding.

Briefly - we were training a group of WIC Peer Counsellors. They were just not *getting* the point, so I brought in some straws and a small kitchen funnel. A volunteer played the part of the baby and I was the mama.

To demonstrate bottle feeding, I placed the funnel in the *baby's* mouth and SLOWLY trickled in a couple of ounces of water. When asked, the *baby* said that she felt panicked completely out of control. She needed to swallow in a hurry and place the tip of her tongue over the opening of the funnel to stop the water coming in too fast.

The same  *baby* was then given a cup of water with a straw and told to drink through the straw. Afterwards, she said she felt more calm and completely in control. She had placed her tongue under the straw, cupping it.

Then we discussed how these differences might affect a very young baby, stressing that they were similar but (obviously) not exactly like bottle or breastfeeding.

I have subsequently found this to be a useful *hands on* type demo to use with many different groups at conference sessions etc., because it is so graphic. It is so satisfying to hear the ahhhh! as the penny drops :)

Norma Ritter, LLLL, IBCLC, RLC
[log in to unmask]

--

To temporarily stop your subscription: set lactnet nomail
To start it again: set lactnet mail (or digest)
To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
All commands go to [log in to unmask]

The LACTNET mailing list is powered by L-Soft's renowned
LISTSERV(R) list management software together with L-Soft's LSMTP(R)
mailer for lightning fast mail delivery. For more information, go to:
http://www.lsoft.com/LISTSERV-powered.html

ATOM RSS1 RSS2