From:
Rachel Myr <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 7 Mar 2004 20:43:59 +0100
Ann Perry writes in response to a query about what others do with 'hungry'
(seemingly dissatisfied) babies in the first day or two.
I encourage mothers to keep babies at the breast as often as baby wants,
though I don't insist they take the baby with them to the toilet.  Some
babies are only happy with a breast in their mouths until the milk is
flowing freely and the more time they spend at the breast, the faster that
happens.  But there was another part of Ann's post I want to respond to.
She writes:
"I've written this before and do not have the research to back it but
newborns don't feel well."
While I certainly have seen newborns who seem to want to go back to the
womb, or who at least want to let everyone around them know they are Not
Happy, many newborns feel just fine.  They are wide awake, have relaxed,
almost curious facial expressions, some of them actually smile, and they
seem almost to revel in the new experiences available to them.  In the
babies I see who don't seem to feel well, there is usually a good
explanation for it, like they were hauled out with a vacuum extractor, or
evicted from the womb before they had planned to come, by elective CS or
through induction, and/or they have been subjected to forced separation from
their mothers due to postpartum complications in themselves or the mothers.
I don't consider it par for the course for a baby to feel unwell.  How
adaptive is that, anyway?
So, I think we need to take into consideration the babies who aren't feeling
well, but we need to ask why there are so many of them that it is considered
the norm.  What is happening to them on the way here?
For the record, I entirely support Ann's suggested care plan for these
babies - staying at the breast as much as possible.  Never seen it hurt!
Rachel Myr
Kristiansand, Norway