From:
Anne Merewood <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 30 Mar 2002 12:29:29 EST
Hi Heather
As with any drug that is contra-indicated or suspect or only recommended at
certain doses, the situation should be explained to the mother and then she
should make the decision. This is the direction we would like to pursue more
actively at out institution with methadone. However, there are many problems
surrounding methadone moms, and other organizations such as social services
and in many cases - the prison system! - are involved. (Many of our moms are
incarcerated and wanting to breastfeed during the hospital stay, after which
they usually go back to prison  with no baby - some go to halfway houses
depending on time of sentrence left to serve). The same issue arises all the
time with our cocaine moms. We advise them not to breastfeed. Of course, we
cannot enforce that decision....Our main issue with methadone is the AAP
recommendation of 20mg, which accoridng to the evidence available, seems low.
I would be very interested to know what the UK guidelines suggest - do you
know?
Anne Merewood  IBCLC
Boston Medical Center