From:
"Linda J. Smith" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 29 Jul 2004 10:03:46 -0400
I need to correct my earlier post about mothers who engage in behaviors that
are - well, "questionable" is a good word, or "politically incorrect."  I
did not mean to imply that Dr. Wight would or does deny care to anyone! I
though I'd read a message on Lactnet that "someone" at a hospital had
threatened to deny care to mother who used pot. If such a message was
posted, it was not referring to Dr. Wight.

I agree with Dr. Wight that there is a need for real research data on the
relative safety or danger of THC (and a lot of other things) to the
breastfeeding baby. There's a widespread anti-marijuana mindset that is not
based on solid research, as she so rightly pointed out. If we had good
research data, we might feel more comfortable in either strongly
discouraging or ignoring mothers' use of this particular substance. Or even
encouraging it, dare I say? We really don't know. And that's my point - we
don't know, so "beliefs" will prevail until real data is compiled.

And again, I'm personally more concerned about risks from ANY smoke that
gets into mothers' lungs than the source of the smoke. My parents both died
early from smoking-related illnesses, and I'm probably more sensitized to
"healthy lungs" issues than others. My lungs were probably damaged from
growing up in a house with several smokers, and I deal with the consequences
today. When my parents were young, they didn't know that cigarette smoking
was dangerous and got "hooked" on the practice through aggressive marketing.
They were duped by advertising. The research confirmation of dangers from
cigarette smoking would only be widely publicized decades later, long after
their children (me and my siblings) reached adulthood.

YES, this is a breastfeeding-related post because the same marketing
techniques are used to sell infant formula.

Linda J. Smith, BSE, FACCE, IBCLC

Bright Future Lactation Resource Centre Ltd

6540 Cedarview Ct, Dayton OH 45459

ph 937-438-9458 www.BFLRC.com