From:
Morgan Gallagher <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 28 Jan 2010 10:04:45 +0000
Dyslexia is not used as a term within diagnosis, except as part of a
spectrum of behaviours liable to make academic learning challenging.
Dyslexia means you have a specific learning disability - what the
precise nature of that disability is, is then discussed in terms of
support required, rather than a concrete term of understanding of what
the problem is.: there are no 'labels'.  (Do note irony is at play here)

"Mild learning difficulties" may include what would be commonly referred
to as dyslexia, in other areas, but would also include dyspraxia and
agnosia and a range of visual or auditory processing conditions.  This
is because funding for help in schools, is keyed to the needs of the
individual, rather than a blanket statement of any one condition.
Therefore all assessments are made about a spectrum of needs and
requirements, as opposed to a 'definition'.

"Mild learning difficulties" describes someone who was slow to progress
at school, and required some sort of support.  What the support would
have been, would have been individual, so there is no way of knowing.

This mother was perfectly functioning within her family and school, and
social environment.   She was engaged in a responsible and family
supported relationship with a perfectly responsible and hard working 25
year old partner.  She had, however, been raised by her grandmother, not
her parents, and therefore was a client of Fife Social Services as a
child in her own name.  Thus, when she fell pregnant and arranged to
marry at 17 years old, with the full and happy consent and backing of
her close family, her social worker was involved.  From hence, the
cascade of interventions began.  The first intervention was the social
worker referring the mother to a psychologist (an educational
psychologist I believe) who determined that the 17 didn't understand the
magnitude of what the marriage contract meant and social workers thus
forbade the marriage 48 hours before hand.  Show me anyone under 25, who
truly understands the magnitude of what a marriage contract meant, and
I'll show you someone who was painfully involved in a divorce.  In my
experience, very few people understand what marriage is.

If this mother had not been raised by her grandmother, these events
would not have occurred, as she would not have had her own social worker
to tick boxes on what the social workers was liable for on her shift.

The mother concerned was also working with children in day care
settings, as part of her educational training, according to reports.
This is part of a wonderful UK scheme, whereby young girls are trained
as day care workers, and paid minimum wage, to care for the children of
mothers who would like to stay at home and raise them, but have been
forced back to work in order to prove they are valuable and contributing
members of society.  There are legions of 16, 17 and 18 year old girls
in the UK, training to be childcare workers in low paid jobs in vast
Nurseries.  Many of them have mild learning disabilities, so they're not
off to University, where the rest are packed in like cattle, regardless
of their skills, aptitude or inclination.

As Ireland has shown, if you have a mother who you need to be very sure
about, you allow for them to be kept together, and actually watch the
mothering.  Heaven forfend!  How primitive of Ireland!  Quite quite
shocking, that just actually watching a mother hold her newborn might
give a clue that she can spot the child's needs and take care of the
child!  Honestly, the damage done to children as they grow up in a
loving home but realise Mum hasn't got a degree, and needs things
explained twice sometimes, is so severe, you can see how putting them in
care is the better option.

So, the term 'mild learning difficulty' cannot encompass any condition
that would imply the child or adult wasn't capable of functioning
adequately in society but may need some support.  The next step up would
be "moderate" and then "severe".  Otherwise, you'd be looking to an
actual name of a condition.  It can encompass dyslexia, but equally it
does not make dyslexia automatic.  Like I said, the support required is
the crucial aspect, and that's how long is a piece of string.  So if you
self-identify as dyslexic, you're dyslexic - otherwise you have a
learning difficulty.

What is clear, is that the mother could get the baby to her breast,
argue back with social workers and knew what way round the nappy/baby
dynamic occurred. Again, how primitive of Ireland to allow her to touch
her own baby.  Shocking.

Morgan Gallagher

(Who has a moderate to severe learning disability, as the level of my
own dyslexia is profound.  I also have a first class honours, a Masters
and quite a bit of a PhD.  This can mean that some people trust me to be
able to read, even between the lines.)