Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 25 Aug 2014 15:49:44 -0400
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (25 lines)
Hi Nikki,

Please check the archives for Cathy Watson Genna's response to my LactNet post "MTHFR polymorphism and TT?" There is a theory is that MTHFR polymorphisms, which cause folic acid to not be metabolized properly, and occur in 50% of people, are related to tongue tie. Dr. Lawrence Kotlow estimates that 50% of people have some form of tongue tie. Please note there is little to no research to support this theory. 

If this theory is correct, then research questions needing to be studied are whether tongue tie comes from excess folic acid circulating in mom's blood from her having MTHFR polymorphism(s), or if tongue tie is a direct result of the baby having MTHFR polymorphisms and therefore difficulty metabolizing folic acid.

If/when I have another baby, I plan to take methylfolate instead of folic acid and see if it prevents tongue tie. I have one child who had posterior tongue tie. Obviously with n=1, my little experiment will not tell us much, but I would love to personally not have to deal with tongue tie again!

Also, perhaps someone else can verify, but I was taught that folic acid, though synthetic, is better absorbed than naturally occurring folate. But, this would obviously be false for the 1 out of every 2 people with MTHFR polymorphisms.

I wish someone would do the research in this area. It almost makes me want to get my Masters. ;)

Maria Dentino, RD, CDN, CLC

Archives: http://community.lsoft.com/archives/LACTNET.html
To reach list owners: [log in to unmask]
Mail all list management commands to: [log in to unmask]
COMMANDS:
1. To temporarily stop your subscription write in the body of an email: set lactnet nomail
2. To start it again: set lactnet mail
3. To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
4. To get a comprehensive list of rules and directions: get lactnet welcome

ATOM RSS1 RSS2