From:
Maureen Fletcher <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 29 Mar 2011 22:38:26 -0400
oh dear! This is exactly the same situation I had with one of the moms here, only that she tends to want to be in control of her baby's schedule so that she can get back her 8 hour sleep at night. She asked me if she was okay to "train" her baby to go to sleep at night without any feeds and her baby was only 1.5months old at that time, very much to my horror!

I have a copy of this book "the no cry sleep solution" and I did try the "unlatching" method with myc daughter but it didnt work out so well and in the end I just forget about it and go with the flow. Things are much more easier afterwards.

There is this wonderful book by Dr Marc Weissbluth, Healthy Sleep Habits, Happy Child. It is a very wonderful book to have as it gives you the insight on understanding the various sleep patterns from infancy right up to teenage and no where in that book did Dr Weissbluth said anything about "limiting breastfeeding" just to get baby to sleep through the night or longer. The contents of the book simply teaches the reader to identify the cues of sleep in various age groups and by understanding this, the caregiver is more able to respond to the child more effectively. The book also explains the rational of having a routine (children thrive on routine) and this can be achieved with sleep patterns.

Hope this helps!