From:
Kathy Dettwyler <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 8 Nov 1997 16:21:08 -0600

><So -- the basic family unit for humans is probably 2-3 women per
>each adult male.>
>
>Is this a reasonable explanation for a figure I recently heard in the media
>that said 50% of married partners are adulterers?  As humans, are we really
>meant to be monogamous, from an anthropologists perspective?  Enquiring
>minds want to know...

Nope, we're not meant to be monogamous, from an evolutionary perspective --
we women are supposed to have other women around to help us with the work
(agricultural, herding, wood chopping, water hauling, millet pounding,
childcare, cooking, etc.) and give us emotional support, and share the
sexual demands of the husband.  Approximately 87% of the world's societies
allow polygyny (one man, more than one wife).  Remember too that romantic
love as the basis for choosing a marriage partner is a very recent and
geographically limited concept.

Katherine A. Dettwyler, Ph.D.
Associate Professor of Anthropology and Nutrition
Texas A&M University