From:
Cathy Bargar <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 11 Dec 1998 13:52:57 -0500
Well said!

I think there's a grave danger in forgetting, even briefly, that we may not
know what is behind women's "choices". You're right: any of us worth our
salt (or our initials) should be able to talk with women about breastfeeding
without sending guilt-provoking messages, and it seems to me the height of
arrogance on our part to assume that we know what is best for every woman we
talk to, or that we have knowledge or understanding of their lives and
experiences.

Besides, on a purely practical note, how many women who "try" breastfeeding
because they are bullied into it by someone who makes them feel guilty will
actually persist past the first tweak of discomfort (emotional, cultural, or
physical) or "inconvenience"? My experience has been that "you catch more
flies with honey than with vinegar".