From:
Louise Dumas <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 8 Dec 1998 09:18:41 -0500
Janice asked: "Has anyone here had success getting doctors' offices to
get rid of these -- or at least the ones that go beyond the scope of
formula-related topics and get some BF literature into their offices? "

Yes, but it is a continuous job!!! The regional bf promotion committee
in Western Quebec has decided three years ago to visit personally each
office in town (!!yes, we know... it IS time consuming!!!).

We gave ourselves a regional educational session in 1996-97, ourselves
being all persons in close contact with breastfeeding moms: m.d.,
pediatricians, gynecologists, nurses from the hospital and the community
health centers, midwives from the provincial pilot project, LLL and
mom-to-mom volunteers, telephone-triage nurses, teacher of the college
nursing school and professor-researcher in nursing from the university.
We were trying to get uniform messages, verbal and written, to the
community on breastfeeding (not so easy!!!!! since we are more than 300
persons involved!). During this educational session, we had many
pamphlets and posters from Health Canada and pamphlets from the
mom-to-mom helping group here, given  for everyone. We told everyone
having an office that we would feed them regularly with those pamphlets.

The results: every 3 months or so, each our turn, we contact all persons
having an office and bring them  (personally) some new posters and
pamphlets if needed. I can tell you all of us know the receptionists
very well after 3 years!! Of course we are trying to find a method in
working with them in order to facilitate the whole process...anything
that could be easier than this...but at least, we tell ourselves that
parents see posters and pamphlets which is bf oriented, which was not
the case before...

We welcome any other idea...but we find that, until we have all pro-bf
professionals all over the place (dream on...), this was one of our ways
to go! Good luck! Louise

Louise Dumas, R.N., M.S.N., PhD
Professor-researcher in Nursing Sciences
University of Quebec in Hull
(Western Quebec, where weather is still miserable, not being Fall not
being Winter!!)

mailto:[log in to unmask]