From:
Merilee Reeder <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 12 Jan 2002 11:18:47 EST
Hi all,
I have been pondering the thread about boiling water for mixing formula.  I
was told many, many years ago that it was unnecassary in developed countries
as the water supplies were generally safe (bug wise, but probably not
chemical wise), which brings me to my question.  Does boiling change the
chemical composition of tap water, or simply sterilize it?  When I
investigated water systems a few years back, it seemed that the best
purifying method was distilling (disadvantages of that is that there are no
minerals left, good or bad) or the second choice which was osmotic
filtration.  I agree the bottle water doesn't really give any measure of
safety besides tasting better.  So, even if a mother does boil the water, how
safe is it really for her baby, especially when he is receiving an inferior
food.
Just wondering,
Merilee Reeder