From:
Norma Ritter <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 29 Aug 2007 22:56:36 -0400
I just read Morgan's and Molly's catalogues of poor breastfeeding
advice and I am shaking my head. It makes me SO angry when I hear
these stories - and believe me, I could tell you some of my own as
well. I am sure we ALL hear them. In this day and age, how can it be
possible for a pediatrician not to know the basics of normal infant
feeding patterns?

There are days when I wonder if we are fighting a losing battle.
There are days when I wonder if we are simply going about it all
wrong, that we need a new approach.
I think of all the things I, personally, want to do to help change the
status quo, but can't because I don't have the time or the energy or
the money or the influence or know the right people or have the
qualifications...

And then I think about what I CAN do - help one mother and baby at a time.
Some days I do more than others.
Some days I achieve nothing.
Some days I feel like I made a small dent.

So I plod on.
That is what we all do - what we can, when we can, doing it to the
best of our ability.
And yes, it DOES make a difference, even if it is just to that one
mother and her baby, because that mother will pass on her new-found
knowledge and confidence to another, ad infinitum.

norma