From:
Terri Klein <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 15 Aug 2007 16:02:39 -0400
Hello Wise ones,
I have been on and off lactnet. I am Terri Klein RN CLE CLC, didn't get my
paperwork in on time to write this year hopefully next.
My problem today is a baby that sucks his tongue. When I came in this am the
nurse reported to me that he latched on 30 min from delivery, self attached
and nursed four times her shift during the night. Mom came in for induction at
41 weeks contracting x 24 hrs. AROM and delivered 6 hrs later not using
Pitocin for induction and had Stadol one and two hours pre delivery.
This am he was sleepy but after his physical exam from the pediatrician was
awake enough to interest in feeding. Latched and rooted well but would lift his
tongue, start sucking his tongue and no longer latched. Three different
attempts to relatch finally latched and nursed 3 minutes. Attepts every 3
hours he would latch 2-4 sucks and then start sucking tongue again. He did
get one or two swallows. Has spit up a couple of times some colostrum and
mucus. I tried a nipple shield but no luck he just became very fussy, upset
and would push it out of his mouth. I searched the archives but could only see
the problem no solutions. I possibly did not search well and far enough. Your
suggestions would be appreciated. Mom goes home tomorrow. Circ will be
done tonight. She is very patient with him. My concern is that he is not
getting enough colostrum.
Thank you in advance.
Terri Klein RN CLE CLC