From:
Pamela Morrison <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 30 Apr 2006 14:48:38 +0100
Hi Penny

You could try:

Iliff PJ, Piwoz EG, Tavengwa NV, Zunguza CD,
Marinda ET, Nathoo KJ, Moulton LH, Ward BJ, the
ZVITAMBO study group and Humphrey JH. Early
exclusive breastfeeding reduces the risk of
postnatal HIV-1 transmission and increases
HIV-free survival. AIDS 2005, 19:699–708.  Infant
mortality rate for HIV-exposed babies exclusively
breastfed for 3 months, and partially breastfed
after that was 1.96% at 18 months, vs 4.17& for
those who had been mixed fed for the whole period..

Tozzi AE, Pazzotti P and Greco D 1990,  Does
breastfeeding delay progression to AIDS in
HIV-infected children?  Letter to the editor.
AIDS 4:1493-94. I think this may be related to
the Italian register you're asking about.
Breastfed HIV-infected babies survived 19 months,
formula fed infected babies survived 9 months.

Obimbo EM, Mbori-Ngacha DA, Ochieng JO,
Richardson BA, Otieno PA, Bosire R, Farquhar C,
Overbaugh J, John-Stewart GC. Predictors of early
mortality in a cohort of human immunodeficiency
virus type 1-infected african children. Pediatr
Infect Dis J. 2004 Jun;23(6):536-43.  Not being
breastfed was a risk factor for earlier
progression to AIDS in HIV-infected children vs being breastfed.

Coutsoudis A, Pillay K, Spooner E, Coovadia HM,
Pembrey L, Newell ML. Morbidity in children born
to women infected with human immunodeficiency
virus in South Africa: does mode of feeding
matter? Acta Paediatr.
2003;92(8):890-5.  Increased morbidity during
first 2 months of life for never-breastfed vs
ever-breastfed HIV infected infants.

I hope these are useful.  Please let me know if
you need more info.  Best wishes to all at
iThemba Lethu for all the wonderful work you are doing.

Pamela Morrison IBCLC
Co-coordinator, HIV and Infant Feeding Task Force
World Alliance for Breastfeeding Action (WABA)