Date:
Thu, 30 Mar 2000 07:40:56 EST
Nikki says,

<< When a lay person comes to an officially recognized professional, and
 that professional recommends an herb, that is prescribing, is it not? There
 is no difference between an herb and a drug. Who covers the professional if
 the mother has a reaction? >>

Where does it say that IBCLCs cannot recommend OTC drugs/herbs?  Let's start
there.  We are making an assumption that recommending OTC drugs/herbs is
"prescribing."  My dictionary defines "prescribing" as in advise the use of a
medicine, esp as in "prescription drugs", recommend, esp. as a benefit,
"prescribed a change of scenery", or "lay down or impose authoritatively."

The second part of the question, as to who covers the professional if the
mother has a reaction -- this is why we carry liability insurance.

OK -- this is an issue that is confusing to everyone.   (Well, maybe just
some people).  But I want to know, where is it written that the IBCLC cannot
prescribe/advise/recommend use of herbal/homeopathic/OTC remedies?  Or
cabbage.  Or supplements.  Or a nap for the mother.  (Or a nap for me, for
that matter!)

Jan B -- wanting definitive guidelines in Wheaton