From:
Patricia Ellis <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 26 Feb 2001 22:17:00 -0800
Dear Alicia, I have used Soothies and Kendall Hydrogels.  The hydrogels are
thicker, the Soothies have a cloth backing, although it seems breathable.
The advantage of Soothies is that they are available retail, although in NJ
only at Rumson (Remson?) Pharmacy in Rumson NJ.  I have the phone number at
work and they will UPS next day to moms.  They are also cheaper than
Hydrogels--about 10.00, and hydrogels so far seem only available through
hospitals, maybe med supply stores.  We are using Hydrogels at St. Peters,
but only have small numbers of samples--I don't know what the hold up is in
ordering, but you have to order large bulk, and they are expensive (don't
remember how much).  Both work very well, although I think Soothies may
require two "doses" because they don't seem to last as long, nor are they
recommended to be reused for as long as the hydrogels.  Of course, we
correct the latch, but it does help mom heal in the meantime, sometimes with
pumping and feeding EBM for a few days, sometimes still nursing.  We had a
presentation through theConsortium by Kendall and a wound healing
nurse--they are for moist wound healing, a step up from Lansinoh.  Hydrogels
can be used for 3 to5 days, so mom is usually ok by then, or can rely on
Lansinoh.  They are sort of like the best new thing since sliced bread,
although actually they have been around a while, and just seem to be getting
marketed in the last year or so.  They actually even feel good to the mom,
so while she's healing, she has less pain, and no need for the breast
shells, which only keep stuff from rubbing the nipples, don't really do much
it seems to me.

A question re the super sleepy babies--I really like your suggestions, but
the C/S moms I see would NEVER be able to express colostrum--they are like
the babies, and so out of it, I can't imagine that they would be willing to
day 1.  That's when most of the supplements are given, because day 1 is a
problem for all the moms, but the C/S's are really miserable.  It's really
sort of expected that they won't be able to feed, although of course some do
and the effort is usually made.  I'm not sure if we are treating them fairly
or not, but they can barely move or keep their eyes open for the first 12
hours.  How do you think we should work with them?  Carol and I do go in and
try, but they often say they want to wait until the next day.

I will ask Carol about a meeting time.  I know Mary Ellen had a plan to
table the Task Force and "rethink" it, but we have heard no more, and when
we leave her messages, she does not respond, regardless of the matter.  It's
sort of, "don't call me, I'll call you", but I believe she would be annoyed
if we met without her, so we'll have to bring it up.  I think she might be
overwhelmed with the tech program right now, but I'm not sure what the
problem is.  Perhaps you should call her directly and propose a
brainstorming meeting.
She might be more open to you.

Still here,
Pat