From:
Linda Rosetti <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 25 Apr 1995 13:53:37 -0400
I've been dealing with a mother for the last month who is at the end of her
rope.  She has a 4 week old premie, (35 wks) very difficult feeder.  Taking
up to 1 hour for feedings.  She has been finger feeding and attempting to
nurse to no avail.  We have tried just about everything on this little one
from nipple shields to the SNS, to long naps skin to skin, you name it this
mom has tried it.  The baby is very fussy (screams) after a few attempts at
nursing.  Of course mom is exhausted, dad too.  Talked to mom today and she
wants to quit.  I achnowledged her exhaustion and offered any help she
needed.  I suggested she go ahead and try a bottle to see if it would take a
little less time. I encouraged her to pump as she could as any breastmilk is
good etc.  I know we've all been in similar situations but I thought maybe
someone might have some magic for these poor moms (and LC's! ) who want this
to work so bad, but.......