Date:
Tue, 14 Jun 2011 15:06:00 +0100
>There is a brand new study in the June issue of Pediatrics regarding
>the protective effect of breastfeeding against SIDS.
>
>"Breastfeeding is protective against SIDS, and this effect is
>stronger when breastfeeding is exclusive. The recommendation to
>breastfeed infants should be included with other SIDS risk-reduction
>messages to both reduce the risk of SIDS and promote
>breastfeedingfor its many other infant and maternal health
>benefits." See
>http://pediatrics.aappublications.org/content/early/2011/06/08/peds.2010-3000.full.pdf+html
>
>Marsha Walker, RN, IBCLC
>Weston, MA

Here in the UK, we will be waiting for the major support and
information group (Foundation for the Study of Infant Deaths
http://fsid.org.uk) to respond to this.

Over many years, they have omitted advice on infant feeding in their
literature, and maybe this will change now.

Are there any maths boffins on Lactnet who could translate the
figures into numbers for us? " The univariable SOR for exclusive
breastfeed ing of any duration was 0.27 (95% CI: 0.24 - 0.31)." makes
my hair curl just a bit.....I know I am supposed to know these
things! ;)

Heather Welford Neil
NCT bfc, tutor, UK
--